Saturday, June 16, 2012

Norsk Mat - Norwegian Food

I've been here nearly a year (time sure flies when you're having fun!) and in addition to simply tasting, I've attempted to make a variety of Norwegian food - mostly with the help of my lovely mother-in-law.

I've gotten in the habit of taking pictures of the food I taste and help to make with the intention of blogging about it...but I always end up blogging about something else. So, before my first year is up in this beautiful place,  my goal is post about some of my favorite experiences.

My most recent experience has been with something called fleskepannekaker. Literally translated, this means "pork pancakes". I had never heard of these artery clogging treats, but one night Stian asked for it for dinner. Not knowing what it was or how to make it, we had chicken and rice instead.

My in-laws came for a visit to help renovate our living room (I'll save that for another post, but I am consistently impressed with and truly thankful for their building know-how) and my mother-in-law said we were to have fleskepannekaker for dinner one night.

Here's what you can expect: crepes with bacon and jam or pure sugar.



Steps 1, 2, & 3: Make pancake batter; fry up bacon; pour bacon grease into pancake batter. (Uff da!)



Steps 4 & 5: fry pancakes and put a few pieces of bacon between each one. 




Step 6: Choose between blueberry jam (blåbær syltetøy) or sugar to fill your pancake - and maybe more bacon if you feel like 3 pieces per pancake aren't enough. 




I chose blueberry jam (because Norwegian jam is better than any I've ever tasted). 



Steps 7 & 8: Roll up your pancake with all it's goodness tucked inside; Enjoy. 




What a treat! I felt like I was bursting after my second one, but it was so good.


Vær så god!! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I might have to try to make this...it looks sooo good. Is it just regular made from scratch pancake batter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously have never heard of this before!! Though it sounds weird at first, I can see the concept... salty and sweet. Guess I gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, you have to make thin pancakes...so go for a crepe batter instead - less baking soda, I guess?

    ReplyDelete