Friday, March 9, 2012

Babies, Falling, and Pancakes

Ha, nope not pregnant, but I got your attention, huh? ;)

My blog posts are few and far between these days. 

I can't say I'm happy about that, but that's just how life is right now. I've fallen into a routine and stopped noticing things about my new home. Maybe that's not true, actually. I still notice things, I just have less time to write about them. Between Norwegian class and sharing a computer with my dear hubby, I use my phone to check my email and Facebook on the bybanen, and have neglected to put some effort into this blogging project of mine. 

In any case, I can share a quick story about what we've been up to. 

Stian and I took a little trip up to his hometown and it was so refreshing to get out of Bergen for a few days! 
We hauled Potet (our kitten) with us for the visit, and got to spend time with our adorable 1 year old niece. 

The cat and Sofie spent a lot of time together over the weekend: 

They found a kroner in the bathroom and Uncle Stian could make it spin...it was very entertaining for everyone, apparently. :) 

Nothing like two babies playing together under the bathroom sink...

I knew it would be colder up in the fjords, but I wasn't anticipating so much ice (it was all gone in Bergen a long time ago!). I took my very first ice-related fall in Norway on the first day of Spring - go figure! I fell REALLY hard on my bum and of course, immediately burst into tears. I know that will be the first of many falls in the winters to come, but if I only had 3 wishes, I would waste one on never falling on the ice again in my life. That's how much I hate it. (but who likes falling on the ice?!) 

We stopped at Bestemors (Grandma's) on the way home, and I ate the BEST pancakes I've ever had in my entire life. I asked, in horrible Norwegian, for the recipe, and she gave an answer just like my Grandma (but in Norwegian of course!): oh, a little bit of everything. Some cream, some kefir, some melk, some sour cream, maybe. Some baking soda and hornsalt (fyi, don't ever sniff hornsalt. even if you're curious...just don't do it - you WILL regret it...trust me, I know from experience). 2 eggs. Mix them together and add a little flour. That's it. 

Well, I'll be experimenting this weekend I guess!!

(Also, have any of you eaten a hotdog wrapped in a pancake?! I think it's a strange thing to do, but it seems to be pretty common here...thank goodness for a Norwegian husband to get me through coffee hour because if I was alone and someone put a plate of hot dogs in front of me and said "here you go!" I'm not sure what my reaction would be - but I'm sure I would never wrap a pancake around one). 

I love going out of town for a change of scenery, so this trip was a lovely breath of fresh air!


6 comments:

  1. aww the photos are adorable!! how have i still not met potet!? it is madness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which fjord area?? I had heard recently of the hot dog wrapped in pancake but they must not do it in my area. Was it like a crepe or a small pancake. Here they call the pancakes ...lopper and the crepes are called pannakaker. I enjoy your posts. Especially being a California girl here too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. south-east of Oslo (Fredrikstad) it is tradition to serve hot dogs in waffles, if you go to a football game that is what you get. I do not think it's that usual with either waffles or pancakes in this area - but my grandma serves it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures and so interesting, thankyou. My kids will love hotdogs wrapped in pancakes. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of hot dogs in pancakes (though I guess it'd be a lot like the ones in waffles in Fredrikstad), if you meant "lomper" (sort of small and thin pancake but made by potatos, flour but no eggs or somesuch, I've eaten it, though never seen it made)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the term you're looking for is lefse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefse. These can be made form potato or from flower and are used for wrapping pølse, smaller versions are known as lompe. Both also get covered with butter, suger and kanel.

    ReplyDelete